In a sport like golf, having the proper equipment can make all the difference in the world.
I’ll never forget how much my first pair of golf shoes helped my golf swing. I felt I could turn my back foot much easier with golf shoes than with regular street shoes.
All of that being said, a lot of folks may wonder if golf shoes are really a necessity to play golf or simply a matter of personal preference.
In this article, we’ll investigate whether or not golf shoes are needed to play a solid round of golf. We’ll also provide a few golf shoe choices to consider.
Do Golf Courses Require You to Wear Golf Shoes?
Surprisingly, most golf courses recommend golf shoes, but they don’t require them. Keep in mind, though, that some courses are more strict with their dress codes. In other words, at least have a pair of shoes on instead of some casual flip-flops when you arrive for your round.
If you do choose to wear golf shoes, remember that most golf courses have now outlawed metal spikes to cut down on turf damage. Because of this, it’s a good idea to buy spikeless golf shoes or at least ones with plastic spikes.
Do Golf Shoes Really Make a Difference?
Yes, golf shoes can make a huge difference in your overall game and help you shoot lower scores! Let’s briefly go over some of the benefits that proper golf footwear provides.
1. Better Traction and Stability
The golf swing is a complex athletic maneuver with lots of moving parts. Golf shoes, especially those with spikes, provide golfers with a solid foundation and better grip. This helps golfers complete a full turn off their back foot without slipping and sliding.
The spikes also allow for better traction, which is incredibly important on the golf course in wet conditions. More traction means more distance off the tee!
2. Injury Prevention
The right types of golf shoes can also prevent ankle and heel injuries. Golfers with a history of ankle problems can choose high-top golf shoes for added support and protection.
If you prefer walking your entire round instead of riding in a golf cart, the right pair of golf shoes can prevent blisters thanks to their extra padding. Nothing can derail a low-scoring round faster than a bad blister!
3. Most Golf Shoes Are Waterproof
This is another essential benefit of golf shoes. Have you ever noticed how regular tennis shoes get weighed down on rainy days? That’s the last thing you need when trying to hit good shots on the golf course!
Thankfully, most golf shoes have a high level of water resistance. This is a huge help when those uninvited popup showers hit.
4. Golf Shoes Are Usually More Lightweight
A full 18-hole round of golf can take four or five hours on a busy weekend. That’s a long time to be on your feet, so golfers need types of shoes that are lightweight.
Most golf shoes are much lighter than regular street shoes, which is a huge advantage during longer rounds.
Can You Play Golf with Regular Sneakers?
Yes, even with all the added benefits of golf shoes, some folks prefer to play golf in regular sneakers. This is perfectly acceptable and not against any type of attire rules at most golf courses.
Some beginners and even some professional golfers prefer the classic comfort that regular sneakers provide. However, golf shoe manufacturers now offer so many spikeless designs that most folks can find a new pair of golf shoes that feel just like regular sneakers.
3 of The Best Golf Shoes to Consider
Since there are so many different types of golf shoes, finding the right pair can be a cumbersome task. To help with this common problem, we’ve compiled a list of three of the best golf shoes on the market.
We’ll let you know our best overall pick, our best budget-friendly option, and the most comfortable pair.
Top Pick: Footjoy Men’s Fj Fuel Golf Shoe
Footjoy is known as the #1 shoe in golf, and with good reason. They’ve been making highly durable golf shoes since 1857. Around 45% of the top PGA Tour professional golfers in the world wear Footjoy golf shoes.
The Footjoy Fj Fuel is one of the company’s best sellers. It’s lightweight, stylish, and available in four different color schemes. This is a soft spiked shoe that is incredibly comfortable, even during your long rounds on the golf course.
- Available in White and Blue Jay / White, Black, Orange / White, Blue, Red / Navy, White, Red
- Comfortable on both the course and driving range
- They can be worn in casual settings as regular sneakers since the spikes are soft and low profile
- Strikes the perfect balance between traction and comfort
- A little on the expensive side at around $128 per pair
- Some folks don’t like the synthetic leather material and claim it doesn’t hold up as well as regular leather
Best Budget-Friendly Pick: Adidas Men’s Traxion Lite Max Wide Golf Shoes
Adidas has come a long way with the quality of its golf shoes in recent years. Top PGA Tour pros like Collin Morikawa and Xander Schauffele now proudly wear Adidas golf shoes while duking it out against the toughest competition in the world.
The Traxion Lite Max Wide golf shoe is our top pick for golfers on a tight budget. The price range is incredibly low at anywhere from $32 to $65, depending on the size. That’s an incredible deal for a reputable brand like Adidas.
- Made with a bounce sole for more flexibility and extreme comfort
- This shoe provides an excellent amount of grip and a high level of stability on the course
- Unique textiles are waterproof and specifically designed to keep your feet dry, even in wet conditions
- They come with replaceable plastic spikes
- Some folks rave about the comfort, but others wish these shoes had a little more cushion in them
- Only available in two colors: Red and White / Black and Lime
Most Comfortable Pair: Skechers Men’s Pivot Spikeless Golf Shoe
These golf shoes are nothing less than spectacular. I’ve worn these for over a year, and they’re the most comfortable pair of golf shoes I’ve ever put on. My feet are usually sore after walking just nine holes, but not with these little beauties from Skechers.
The Men’s Pivot golf shoes are spikeless and specifically made for a high level of comfort. Even with the spikeless design, golfers will still get plenty of traction during their swings. The price is reasonable too, at only $50 to $80.
- Made with Ultra Go Foam to add even more comfort
- Lightweight and easy on the feet
- No break-in period needed
- Available in five different color schemes: Black / White / Charcoal & Black / White & Navy / White & Grey
- Can be worn on or off the golf course
- Trustworthy brand that’s been making golf shoes since 1992
- Some golfers have experienced sizing issues when ordering these shoes
- Could hold up better in rainy weather