Golfers often make the mistake of thinking golf books can’t actually improve your game.
They think hitting 100 balls at the range would be a better use of time.
You have to have a club in your hand to improve your game right?
Hitting 100 balls at the range with the wrong swing thoughts and bad form will not make you a better golfer.
Read the above sentence again.
What will make you a better golfer?
Reading the right golf books will give you insights on how to think about the game, the proper form, and course management.
Knowing “WHY” you do the things you do in your golf swing is just as important as actually swinging the club.
Knowing the science along with the art will give you the confidence you need when standing over the ball.
With that confidence, you will improve your handicap.
The first 4 books of this list helped me take 15 strokes off my handicap.
Read them and you will become a better golfer.
30 Best Golf Books That Will Make You a Better Golfer
1. Ben Hogan’s Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf
An all time classic. This book will teach you the five fundamentals that lead to a classic and consistent golf swing. This is one of the integral books that started me on my journey to taking 15 strokes off of my handicap.
2. Harvey Penick’s Little Red Book: Lessons And Teachings From A Lifetime In Golf
The best-selling golf instruction book of all time. Guaranteed to improve your game.
3. Dave Pelz’s Putting Bible: The Complete Guide to Mastering the Green (Dave Pelz Scoring Game Series)
Another book on the list that played a massive role in dropping 15 strokes off my handicap. Dave Pelz’s is well known in the golfing world for his Scoring Series. He has ruthlessly studied putting and has put his scientific research to work to improve your game. Dave’s writing is heavily science based, but will give you the understanding of WHY you are doing what you do on the greens.
4. Dave Pelz’s Short Game Bible: Master the Finesse Swing and Lower Your Score (Dave Pelz Scoring Game Series)
The same concept as Dave’s Putting Bible but focused on your short game. This will help you score around the green and quickly make you a short game wizard.
5. Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect by Dr. Bob Rotella
Golf is just as much mental as it is physical, if not more. Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect focuses on the psychology of the game. It will teach you the thoughts that should be going through you head while you golf, and give you the confidence to make the crucial shots that will drastically improve your game.
6. Bunker Play by Gary Player
7. Tiger Woods: How I Play Golf
How I Play Golf
Tiger Woods reveals the five secrets to his amazing success – a combination of physical, metaphysical and psychological practices he uses daily to keep his game in top shape.
Buy on Amazon
This book directly improved my game. No matter how you feel about Tiger, his game is undeniable. This book not only gives you a look into how he plays, but also the thoughts he has while standing over the ball. Something we could all use!
8. Golf in the Kingdom by Michael Murphy
9. Zen Golf by Michael Murphy
“Golf is played on a 6 inch course, the space between your ears.” – Bobby Jones
10. The Big Miss: My Years Coaching Tiger Woods by Hank Haney
11. The Match by Mark Frost
12. Practical golf by John Jacobs
13. The Greatest Game Ever Played by Mark Frost
Great golf story. Has since been made into a movie that is worth a watch as well.
14. Golf My Way by Jack Nicklaus
15. The A Swing: The Alternative Approach to Great Golf by David Leadbetter
16. Secrets of the Short Game by Phil Mickelson
If there’s anybody who has the right to teach short game, it’s Phil. Known for his creativity around the greens and phenomenal short game, this is a good look into how he is able to get up-and-down so consistently.
17. The Seven Laws of the Golf Swing by Nick Bradley
18. Golf for Dummies by Gary McCord
Better for beginners. Still worth while for experts.
19. The Search for the Perfect Golf Club by Tom Wishon
20. Your 15th Club by Robert Rotella
21. Fearless Golf: Conquering the Mental Game by Gio Valiante
22. Golf Is a Game of Confidence by Robert Rotella
23. Golf My Own Damn Way: A Real Guy’s Guide to Chopping Ten Strokes Off by John Daly
24. Every Shot Counts: Using the Revolutionary Strokes Gained Approach by Mark Broadie
25. Dream Golf by Stephen Goodwin
26. Ernest Jones’ Swing The Clubhead Method
27. The Putting Prescription: The Putt Doctor’s Proven Method for a Better Stroke
28. A Good Walk Spoiled by John Feinstein
29. Training a Tiger: A Father’s Guide to Raising a Winner in Both Golf and Life by Earl Woods
30. The Bogey Man: A Month on the PGA Tour by George Plimpton
There’s your of 30 golf books that are guaranteed to make you a more complete golfer. 1, 2, 4, and 6 were the four books that set me on the path to completely changing my game.
Each book offers something different, but in the end will bring you closer to playing the golf you’ve always dreamed of.
So the next time you think about going and spending two hours at the range…
Spend the first hour with a golf book instead.